As your pet grows older, he or she may develop a range of diseases and conditions associated with aging, such as obesity, diabetes, arthritis and kidney disease. Despite the health problems often ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Watzin Veterinary Clinic is proud to offer Physiotherapy packages tailored to your pet's individual needs!
*Call us today to receive more information & book an assessment appointment*
Why is Physiotherapy important?
Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation help to prompt mobility, function and quality of life, as well as assist in safe and accelerated recovery after surgery. There are many conditions that benefit from physiotherapy including (but not limited to) the following orthopedic procedures: cruciate ligament rupture, cruciate ligament surgery, spinal surgery, bone fractures, neurologica conditions: (IVDD, FCEM, brachialplexus injury, degenerative myelopathy, etc.), effective weight loss, and arthritis or muscle loss due to aging.
Therapeutic Laser Therapy
Therapeutic Laser Therapy helps to reduce pain, reduce inflammation and minimize healing time by improving blood flow and accelerating tissue repair.
Laser therapy is used both post-surgically to accelerate recovery but also during rehabilitation and physiotherapy to help improve muscle tissue strength and improve nerve function.
Exercise is an important part of our daily lives and for our pets too! If daily exercise is not always an attainable goal, there are other options to keep your pet active and moving. Physiotherapy sessions are a great form of exercise if your pet is overweight and trying to keep fit. Contact us for extra guidance on how to help your pet stay active!
How can physiotherapy help my pet cope with Osteoarthritis?
Most pets can benefit from physiotherapy no matter how old they are, even if their arthritis is advanced. Rehabilitation sessions offer a safe and controlled environment for your pet that includes fun, safe and appropriate activities.
Benefits of Physiotherapy include:
● Reduce pain and inflammation
● Increase range of motion (ROM)
● Increase muscle mass
● Potential return to normal function faster
● Increased cardiovascular tolerance
● Weight loss
What are some rehabilitative exercises that will be done with my pet?
There are several exercises that can be done with your pet during a physiotherapy session or at home such as:
● Icing- helps reduce inflammation
● Heating- helps relax tense muscle sand tendons allowing for more effective stretching
● Treadmill- warms up the muscles, increases heart rate and blood flow to the muscles which prevents injury during exercise
● Cavaletties, stairs, “doggie squats”- improves flexion of the joints
● Stairs, theraball work, walking on an incline and dancing- Improves extension of the joints
● Wobble boards, theraball work, cavaletties, dancing, trampoline exercises, cookie neck stretches, manual weight shifting, nudging hind end and walking up an incline- improves ability to shift weight to affected limb
● Massage- helps to soothe sore muscles, release tension and improve circulation through the tissues for better healing
● Range of Motion (ROM) exercises- Maintains muscle mass, especially if exercise is restricted or your pet is not very mobile. These motions also help keep joints moving freely.